THE SALT MINES AND BERCHTESGADEN
First ever historical note of the Salt mining in Berchtesgaden, Germany dates back to 1102. Today visitors from all over the world come to visit the "Salt Mines of Berchtesgaden", which dates back to 1517, the so called “white gold” was making most of Berchtesgaden’s wealth. Also the "Fairytale King", Ludwig II of Bavaria (1845-1886), who built the famous castles at Neuschwanstein, Linderhof and Herrenchiemsee spent serveral summers in his youth in the royal villa at Berchtesgaden.
- The Salt Mines of Berchtesgaden
- The town of Berchtesgaden
- Bavarian Mountain Roads
Heading out south of Salzburg you will cross the close German Border towards the first german village Markt Schellenberg. You can glimpse a view to the Eagle's Nest, which is located right above the town Berchtesgaden and continue on an off the beaten track road towards the "Obersalzberg", pass the Sound of Music Meadow where Maria was singing the opening scene in the world famous musical Sound of Music on your way to the "Obersalzberg".
From the "Obersalzberg" you will continue to Berchtesgaden, the Bavarian Mountain Village located in the Kings Lake River valley. There you have reached the highlight of that tour, the Salt Mines of Berchtesgaden.
The Way through the Salt Mines:
- View Point
- Tour Start: ride into the mountain
- first slide
- salt cathedral
- stone salt grotto
- salt laboratory
- blind shaft
- airlift drilling equipment
- rebuilding attraction
- second slide
- mirror lake
- reichenbach pump
After visiting the Salt Mines of Berchtesgaden you will have about 1 hour for your own in Berchtesgaden, to explore the historical town center, from where we will afterwards make our way back to Salzburg along the King's Lake River Valley.
Return to your accommodation in Salzburg at the end of the tour.
- # 010 Salt Mines & Berchtesgaden
- 10:00 am, 1:00 pm and 2:00 pm from the hotel in Salzburg or any other location in Salzburg / you can choose the desired departure time after payment when sending "general information".
- The afternoon tour is usually much less crowded at the Eagle's Nest
- 6 hours
- Bavarian Mountains
- Salzburg - Border to Germany, Bavarian Mountains - mountains road to the "Obersalzberg" area - Berchtesgaden: Salt Mines - Salzburg
- Professional local guide
- Luxury minivan
- Skip-the-line ticket for the Salt Mine
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Entrance to the Salt Mines: € 16.50 per person
FAMILY TICKETS AVAILABLE - great price deals possible!
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (recommended)