THE EAGLE'S NEST AND BERCHTESGADEN
The Nazi began with construction on the Obersalzberg about 1935. Hitler already had his house named “Wachenfeld” (later renamed to “Berghof”) and also Göring had one house higher on the hill. The Eagle’s Nest is situated 6017 ft above sea level and almost 3000 ft higher than the Obersalzberg. The Eagle’s Nest was Martin Bohrmann’s idea and built for Hitler’s 50th birthday anniversary. Several thousand workers were involved in this mammoth project and construction took place under extreme conditions. The Eagle’s Nest was finished in the summer of 1938 after less than two years of construction! The 4- mile long road to the Eagle’s Nest leads into a rocky plateau from where you access the Eagle’s Nest through a tunnel and elevator. Both, the tunnel and the elevator shaft having a length of 406 ft.
This 6-hour tour will show you the Eagle’s Nest, beautiful Bavarian Countryside to see on off the beaten track roads, the Obersalzberg with the Berghof Ruins, the Hotel zum Tuerken and other World war II sites at the Obersalzberg. You can also visit the bunkers at the Hotel zum Tuerken (closed on Tuesday).
- Visit of the Eagle's Nest (in winter the neighbour summit Rossfeld)
- The very celebrated Bavarian Mountains
- The town of Berchtesgaden
- Hitler's Berghof Ruins
- The Bunkers at the Hotel zum Tuerken (if opened)
Heading out south of Salzburg you will cross the close German Border towards the first german village Markt Schellenberg. Get your first view to the Eagle's Nest and continue on an off the beaten track road towards the "Obersalzberg", pass the Sound of Music Meadow where Maria was singing the opening scene in the world famous musical Sound of Music on your way to the "Obersalzberg" Eagle's Nest bus terminal. From that historical point we will access the Eagle's Nest with special busses and elevator. You will have about 1 hour at the Eagle's Nest, time to get many ever memorable pictures and maybe also having lunch on the Eagle's Nest terrace overlooking the entire Bavarian Mountains. The very scenic view to the Bavarian Mountains, the Kings lake (Koenigssee) and the surrounding area of Salzburg will be an everlasting memory of your Austrian holiday. During the winter months, the tour might visit Rossfeld summit instead, to get a stunning view of the Bavarian Mountain and the Eagle's Nest.
Returning at the Obersalzberg you will see the ruins of the Berghof and the Hotel zum Tuerken (bunkers if opened). Next is Berchtesgaden, the Bavarian Mountain Village located down in Kings Lake River valley. You will have about 1 ½ hours for your own in Berchtesgaden, to explore the historical town center.
The return drive back to Salzburg will take you along the King's Lake River Valley.
- # 005 The The Eagle's Nest & Berchtesgaden
- 10:00 am and 12:00 pm from the hotel in Salzburg or any other location in Salzburg
- 6 hours
- Bavarian Mountains
- Salzburg - Border to Germany, Bavarian Mountains - The Sound of Music Meadow, The Hills are Alive with the Sound of Music - Obersalzberg - Eagle's Nest (in winter Rossfeld) - Berchtesgaden - Salzburg
- Guided Full Day Tour with private guide
- Luxury minivan or BMW X-1
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Bus and elevator to the Eagle's Nest: € 16.10 per person
FAMILY TICKETS AVAILABLE - great price deals possible!
- Food and Drinks
- entrance to the bunkers of the Hotel Tuerken, if opened
- Gratuities (recommended)